Summer 2012 Mantel Starfish Spangled

Just in time for Independence Day I finally took down my Christmas mantel and put up my summertime mantel decor.

Overcoming procrastination is on my To Do List.

Summer 2012 Mantel 3

This mirror used to hang over the mantel of my very first house, but when we moved in here I wanted something different. Now the mirror has been gone long enough that she is the something different, so she made her way back above the fireplace. I love the way she reflects light.

Summer 2012 Mantel 5 RESIZED

I also love how my son likes to photobomb my pictures, popping up from the back of the couch like a whack-a-mole just at the right time.

PHOTOBOMBER

I went super simple on this mantel, shopping my house as usual. The only new items up there are these ruffled aqua pots so I wanted to showcase them by stacking one inside the other. Then I added a seashell ball under a cloche and flanked them with the old standby Biltmore Inspirations wish jars.

Summer 2012 Mantel 8-RESIZED

On the left I used my Cracker Barrel driftwood bowl with a starfish inside and yet another seashell ball under a cloche. Repetition. I like it.

Summer 2012 Mantel 4-SQUARE

And since my flowers are literally dying on the vine in this 105 degree record heat wave I picked a few stems to enjoy the last crinkly blooms before they wither away. These are hosta leaves with blue delphinium (sad, sad, crackly flowers. We need rain.)

Summer 2012 Mantel

More starfish hang out in my silver vases while rusted stars lean underneath for a touch of Americana.

Summer 2012 Mantel10-RESIZED

So that’s it… my simple, star spangled summertime mantel.

Summer 2012 Mantel 7-RESIZED

I’m kicking myself for missing the deadline to enter in the Summer Mantel Link Party at the Lettered Cottage. I wonder if I sweet talk ’em if I could get them to add my link. 😉 Won’t hurt to ask, right?

Have you redone your mantel for summertime? I’d love to see it!

DIY Show Off

« »

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. Beautiful! I love how your mantel is so light and bright. You can’t get much more summer beauty than shells, driftwood, and starfish! 🙂

2. Gorgeous! I love how you used the starfish. And Mason jars. And ticking fabric. The whole thing looks fantastic! Oh, and I chuckled at the Whack a Mole picture. What a handsome little freckled man!

3. Christine @ First Home...Love Life says:

It looks beautiful as usual! Just wanted to come over and tell you to check out my latest post. You’ll like the end… =)

4. Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage says:

pretty-pretty. love the silver and starfish. so beachy but a bit vintage too. it grounds it all.

LOVE =)

5. leanncox says:

It’s beautiful…our flowers & garden were so pitiful (and crunchy, too) that Jason just cut them down yesterday! Sad–only 3 yellow squash this year 🙁 Your mantel is beautiful! Finishing up my Fourth…then a quick change for beach! Wish I would have been efficient & done a combo like you!!!!

6. Anonymous says:

It looks wonderful. I love it so pretty.

Erika

7. reFresh reStyle says:

I love it Beth! Very summery, love the beachy touches 🙂
    Debbie

8. Miriam@Hometalk says:

I love what you did! It’s like a breath of fresh air and makes me feel like I’m in a beach house! Your son is adorable, btw 🙂

9. Karen At Home says:

So pretty! Love the starfish, such a fun and fresh looking mantel!

10. Chelsea @ two twenty one says:

Who needs the beach when they could just stare at your pretty mantel? Sand is annoying anyway. I love that driftwood bowl! There’s a lake nearby with a ton of driftwood, and I keep trying to talk my husband into being my lookout while I snatch some.

11. thistlewoodfarm says:

Beth….*sigh*….this is so pretty. Starfish and a driftwood bowl….someone tell the editors of Country Living!

Thanks for inspiring me!
    🙂

12. Inspire Me Heather says:

Did I read that right – you JUST took down your Christmas mantle??? Oh well, love what you’ve done girl – it’s beachy beautiful!

13. DIY Show Off says:

So refreshing and summer-y! Love the vintage beachy feeling. Great job! And your son is adorable! Too funny! 🙂

14. Jerri Rivers says:

Great mantel! So many cute things!

If you like my photographs, I'd love for you to join my Lightroom List to be kept in the loop about all my upcoming photography workshops and tutorials.

Lightroom list copy