Hey there! I’m Beth.
I love home decorating, interior designing, and DIYing on the cheap. I also like to get my hands dirty in my flowerbeds and snap pretty photos along the way. I’m a master of wasting time on the internet.
I have a son named Garrett and a husband named J and two dogs named Gus and Woodrow. In a word… TheBryansWeBe! I can waste hours crafting just the right sentence. I delete a lot. I am sleepy. I like food, particularly baked goods. I love fishing, laughing, boat riding, and Willie Nelson records.
I am glad you joined me today.
I’m a mommy blogger turned home design blogger. You’ll find a whole lot of DIY craftiness and interior design ideas peppered with some cute pics of my kid. I try to be funny. Sometimes I succeed. Oh, and on occasion I talk about gardening. Look for those posts from the time Spring fever hits me on the first 60 degree day in late February until about mid-May. Then I lose interest because I live on the surface of the sun (aka central Alabama) where it’s 95+ for most of Summer and Fall.
My top 5 most popular posts according to Google Analytics:
5. Lazy Girls Timesaving Tips For Painting Wall Stripes – In early 2012 I decided to change my office walls, but I wanted to do it with as little effort as possible. I painted three stripes, and it’s been one of the best paint choice I’ve ever made. And it was SO easy. I give all my secrets away in this post.
4. Sucker for Succulents: A DIY Succulent Wreath Tutorial – Ever since I was a little girl helping my mom plant hens and chickens in a strawberry pot, I’ve been a sucker for succulents. They are so hard to kill–even in brutal Alabama summers–and they look stunning in tight groupings. These succulent wreaths are overwintering in my sunroom right now. Still going strong! I also auctioned one of these off to help raise money for the Alabama tornadoes earlier this year. I’m so glad succulents are gaining popularity right now.
3. Pottery Barn Inspired Ladder Lantern Hanger – I’m not sure if it’s just because I used the words “Pottery Barn” in the title or what, but people LOVE this rustic old ladder that I turned into a chandelier over my patio table. I used hanging mason jars and a Moravian star to create a twinkly little bit of rustic charm. Altogether between the ladder, the mason jars and the star lantern I think I might have formed a trifecta of perfection with this one. It gained popularity when it was featured by Centsational girl, and it remains near the top of the most favorited all time popular photos on Dwelling Gawker.
2. The Obligatory House Tour – Since I’m (obviously) a home and interior design blogger, I felt that I had to participate in that whole “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours” thing. I know I love getting a peek inside other bloggers beautiful homes. There is so much inspiration to be found on the internet. And it’s kinda fun to be nosy, right?
1. Taking Glowing Pictures of the Christmas Tree – Without a doubt, this is the most popular post that I’ve ever written. I snapped some pics of my son in front of the Christmas tree one night last year and pretty soon he was flying all around the world wide web! The power of Pinterest is an awesome thing. Once this photo started going viral on Pinterest there was no stopping it. I never imagined it would be so popular, but it’s currently sitting at around 100,000 pageviews. Note to self: Write more easy to understand photography tutorials.
How/Why did you start blogging? Has your reason for blogging changed? If so, why?
Maybe I’m showing my age here, but my blog began as a personal journal where I copied and pasted those 101 Getting to Know You type questions from my myspace page. Those have long been deleted, so don’t go searching for ’em. Then I got pregnant and turned into a complete hermit for 9 months, so my blog went silent for most of 2007. After my son was born it turned into full-on mommy blog where I documented every smile/ laugh/ coo/ poop for the first year. Then, somewhere along the way I started posting more home decor ideas and boom, I changed course again. I’m pretty much an exclusive home design blogger these days. You’ll find a little bit of personal stuff over on the Family Life RSS feed now. For some reason it was much easier to blab about my family life back when I only had 4 followers. Now I’m more cautious about what I post, but I try to be open and honest about keeping it real. I will admit that I have tried to reign in my potty mouth now that I know my husband’s coworkers and Granny are reading my blog. It’s been a challenge.
Where did the name for your blog come from?
A lot of people are curious about how my blog got it’s name. During the time I was mulling over the idea of creating a public blog, my friend Dusty at All Things G&D was talking about her trip to see Poison in concert. She inspired me to name my blog Unskinny Bop, but then I glanced over at the Boppy pillow that my son was sitting in on the floor and POOF! A magical idea was formed.
If you weren’t into big hair bands in the 80’s then there is a chance that none of this will make any sense to you. If you do know what I’m talking about, then you already have that song stuck in your head.
What’s in your camera bag?
Here are the links to my Amazon Affiliate site to see my favorite photography equipment.
Canon 60D with 18-135 mm stock lens
Tamron 28-75 mm 2.8 lens (this stays on my camera 90% of the time)
Canon Speedlite External Flash (I try to shoot with no flash but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. This is much better than a hard flash.)
Targus Tripod (make sure to get one that flips 90 degrees to take both portrait and landscape shots)
To read more about my Copper River camera bag that I love with all my heart, click here.